Tuesday, July 13, 2010

HCG stuff...

I didn't sleep well last night. It was awful. It felt like the kind of sleep I had several years ago, before I did my first treatment with Dr.Z, and it kind of freaked me out.

So I started doing some reading...

I may or may not have mentioned that I restarted my HCG diet this week (on Sunday, to be exact).

My understanding was that I am supposed to NET 600 calories a day (as I discussed in a previous post) which means I can still work out, as long as I eat enough calories to make up for the workout.

But, upon reading the paperwork from my doctor and doing more research online, it turns out I was wrong.

Apparently, during Phase 2 of the program (the phase I'm currently in), I am supposed to do little-to-no exercise. 1-2 miles of average-paced walking several times a week is ok, but that's it.

There are a bunch of physiological reasons for this, but the gist is that hard-core exercise on so few calories can send a body into "survival mode" and cause it to INCREASE ITS CORTISOL PRODUCTION in order to SLOW DOWN THE METABOLISM and INCREASE APPETITE.

Dang.

That makes perfect sense, considering my cortisol levels felt like they were soaring at 3:00 this morning, and I have felt hungry all. freakin'. week.

So... I'm not really sure what that means at this point. I am going to have to put a hold on my Couch to 5k program, which makes me REALLY sad.

I'm also going to move back my goal of working out 1 hour a day, 5 days a week (including weights).

BUT... I still plan on hitting the gym every morning. I will simply walk on the treadmill at a steady pace for 1-2 miles. The most important thing for me (at least where exercise is concerned) is that I don't lose ground. I am FINALLY, for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE able to enjoy waking up early and working out consistently.

Ain't no diet in the world gonna make me lose that.

Oh, and at this point, I'm not giving up Yoga. If I continue doing it, and I feel that it's too much on me (or if my cortisol levels don't start dropping), then I'll put that on hold too. This would be the saddest change of all. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So... I'm a little discouraged tonight that I'm having to postpone so many goals. That's not true. I'm a LOT discouraged.

But, in the long run, I know it's best for me to put losing weight as a priority first, and running a 5k or lifting heavier weights as second.

*le sigh*

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Love you, Brandy. You gave yourself great advice. Just cross each bridge as you come to it. And the early morning walking thing is GREAT! Your body has adjusted to that discipline and you can keep that up. When I get discouraged I just want to walk away, but you're doing great and inspiring A LOT of people, so hang in there!!!