Monday, July 5, 2010

Small Beginnings

There's a secret power in setting small goals. It's my new-found super power.


You see, I have several BIG goals floating around in my head right now.

I would like to drastically cut my calorie intake.
I would like to start the Couch to 5k running program.
I would like to do yoga every day.
I would like to completely cut out cereal.
I would like to lose 120 pounds.
And the list goes on...

But if I tried to do all of those things at once (as I have attempted in the past) I would give up before the week is finished.

But when I set the smaller goals...

...like cutting out one bowl of cereal a day.
...like adding 2 servings of fruit a day.
...like just making it to the gym an hour every day.
...like keeping track of my calorie intake.

And when I set a deadline for those goals...

...like by the end of July.

When I have those small steps in place, I suddenly have a new super power.

I have the power to say "no" to all the "should's" and "could's" and "if only's" that come with the weight loss game.


You really should be running 3-4 miles a day like your friends.


"No, that's not my goal right now."

You could be losing 2-3 pounds a week if you would only eat fruits and veggies every day.

"Nope, that's not my goal right now."


If only you could be more disciplined and stop eating cereal.


"Nuh Uh, not my goal right now."

All the guilt and shame and fear that comes from not doing what I "should" be doing, suddenly disappears when I realize what I "am" doing.

I am exercising 5 days a week (something I couldn't doing 2 months ago).
I am touching my toes without bending my knees (something I couldn't do 2 weeks ago.)
I am enjoying the after-exercise burn I feel when I wake up in the morning (something I couldn't do 2 days ago).

Everyday I reach a small goal. I accomplish a small victory.

And these small steps give me the power to say "no" to the guilt-induced desire to do everything at once.

Do not despise the day of small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin. - Zechariah 4:10

No comments: