Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Quothe the Raven, "Nevermore!"

Before we get to the meat of the post, I'd like to give you a few updates:

1.) I have lost 2 pounds since I started 6 weeks ago. In the past, that fact alone would be enough to make me stop trying (only 2 pounds?!). However, this time around, it's not just about weight loss. It's about a healthier, happier me. I still enjoy working out, and (despite what the scale says) my clothes are fitting me better. Besides, progress is progress, no matter how small.

2.) I completed the 1st step of my couch to 5k program last night. 90 seconds walking, 60 seconds jogging, for a total of 30 minutes. Last night was the first time I have been able to completely do that step for the full 30 minutes. I'm thrilled! My goal is to be comfortable enough to start step 2 by August 1st, and I might just make that goal!

3.) Since giving up cereal, I haven't really missed it at breakfast time, but OH! how I miss it late at night when I'm hungry and tired. Nonfat yogurt and fruit has become my new breakfast of choice, but I'm still hunting a good late-night substitute. (Always open for more advice on this topic.) Last night I had a big glass of chocolate milk (skim), and that was the closest I've come to enjoying a late-night snack as much as I enjoy cereal. Ho hum.

With those updates behind us, I'd like to share with you some things I have been learning about living a healthy lifestyle. This topic has become my recent internet reading of choice, and I wish to goodness that I had written down where I read all this stuff. But the fact is that I have read so many articles, I can't seem to find any of it again.

So, let me apologize in advance to the original authors of these ideas. You have inspired me, and if you see your ideas here, please let me know. I'm more than happy to give you the credit you deserve.

Without further ado, a list of lessons I have been learning:

1.) Just do it. Ok, so I know Nike said this first. But the gist of this author's point was that too many people are looking for "motivation" to exercise. But to seek motivation implies that you need to "feel motivated" to do something. The fact is, some days there is no motivation. Like this morning: it was pouring (and I mean POURING) rain outside. I did not sleep well due to a late night workout last night. And I just discovered that, despite my many weeks of hard work, I have only lost 2 pounds. Folks, if there was a morning for me to lack motivation, it was this one. But just as I went to hit my snooze button one more time, I remembered this author's words (and I'm paraphrasing): Nobody "feels" like exercising all the time. So on days when there is no motivation, get over it, and just do it.

2.) More exercise = more food. This is yet another reason I am loving exercise these days. According to my doctor, I should be eating Net 600 calories a day (total caloric intake - calories burned in exercise = 600). That means, if I work out hard enough to burn 600 calories, I can DOUBLE my calorie intake that day! I know this sounds simple, but it ends up working out like this: Hm. I'm hungry. How many calories do I have left today? Only 33?!! I better hit the gym so I can snack. Totally awesome discovery.

3.) Nevermore. I'm pretty sure I saw this one on a YouTube video (which I can't find now), but the lady who had lost bookoo's of weight, wore a personalized necklace that held this word: Nevermore. It was a mantra that meant: I will never weigh more than I do today. Nevermore. This is the word that rang in my head when I stepped onto the scale and realized I had only lost 2 pounds. Sure, it's only 2 pounds, but I will never ever ever see those two pounds again. They are gone. Nevermore.

4.) Only One. Finally, someone on the myfitnesspal.com message boards posted this poem that has made such a difference in how I view "just 1 pound":


"Hello! Do you know me? If you don't, you should.
I am ONE POUND OF FAT, and I am the happiest pound of FAT that you would ever want to meet!

"Want to know why? It's because no one ever wants to lose me! After all, I am only ONE POUND OF FAT. Just ONE POUND. Everyone wants to lose 3 or 5 or 15 pounds, but never ONLY one.
So, I just stick around and happily keep you. Then I am free to add to myself, ever so slyly, so that you never seem to notice...

"That is, until I have grown to 10, 20 or even 30 pounds in weight...

"YES... it is fun being ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT... left to do just as I please.

"So, when you weigh in, go ahead... just keep on saying, "Oh I only lost one pound." (As if that is so terrible.) For you see, if you do this, you will encourage others to hang around me because they will think that I am not worth losing.

"And I LOVE being around you... your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips, and every other part of you. HAPPY DAYS! After all, I am ONLY ONE POUND OF FAT!!!"

1 comment:

Jen @ My Own Road said...

A great late night snack for me is a packet of diet hot chocolate (made with water or milk, water if you prefer to save calories) with some light or fat free Cool Whip on top. Since it's a warm drink, it takes longer to drink and helps to make you feel fuller longer.

I'm also a fan of fruit smoothies. You can use fresh or frozen fruit (I use frozen strawberries, they give the smoothie a thicker texture b/c they're frozen) with some fat free yogurt (just a table spoon or 2), ice cubes, skim milk and splenda or sugar substitute of choice. You get fiber, calcium and antioxidants with low calories and they're sooo good! Pat and I make smoothies as a substitute for when we really want milkshakes.

You're doing great, keep it up!!