Thursday, July 1, 2010

Loving the workout...

For the first time ever, I LOVE exercise. I have never understood when people talk about a "runner's high" or how much they "enjoy" working out.

Exercise is work.

Exercise is not something to enjoy. It's something a person has to do if they expect to get in shape.

It's a necessity.

A necessary evil.

But starting it little-by-little has made all the difference in the world for me. I'm doing things I never thought I would be able to do, much less want to do.

I am learning a few things about myself through this process:

1.) If I can walk/jog outside, I prefer to do that above anything else.
2.) I am a fair-weather outdoor walker/jogger. If it's too hot (or too cold maybe?) I hit the treadmill.
3.) Despite my past failed attempts, I am capable of walking on a treadmill without falling off.
4.) I am intimidated by the weight machines if there's not at least one other overweight person using them. (This is something I am determined to overcome.)
5.) I hate hate HATE exercise videos. (This was a real revelation for me, as most of my past attempts to stick to exercise have been in the form of exercise videos in my living room.)
6.) I am more capable than I ever thought I was. I can jog further, lift more, and work out longer than I think I can.
7.) I will not stick to a "plan;" so I don't bother making one.
8.) I love waking up in the morning and asking myself, "What kind of exercise do I want to do this morning?"
9.) I don't think exercise is helping me lose weight AT ALL.
10.) #9 doesn't bother me AT ALL because I love the feeling that exercise gives me.

This is totally weird for me. Totally. Weird.

I'm 120 lbs overweight.

I have run a mile 7 times in my life - once a year from sixth grade through twelth grade for the Presidential Challenge.

I have used a treadmill 3 times in my life - and I fell off twice.

I have attented 1 stationary bike class - and I left 10 minutes into it.

I currently own the following exercise video collection: Tae Bo Beginnger, Tae Bo 8 Minute Workout, 10 Minute Dance, Carmen Electra's Strip Tease, Post-Natal Pilates, Jillian Austin's 30 Day Shred. And I have never done one of them for more than 3 or 4 days in a row.

I am the epitomy of anti-exercise.

But something has changed. I'm not sure how or why, but I am LOVING this morning exercise stuff.

Praise the Lord!

No comments: